Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Can you say "Mason Dixon"?

Until very recently, I fancied myself a well-traveled,--dare-I-say--nearly cosmopolitan individual. Growing up, my parents were great about taking us places and showing us things. (Although my sister and I got into more than a little trouble for having our noses in books rather than taking in the sights.)

As a geographer, I am fascinated by different places. I love the idea of travel; seeing new people, places, and things; experiencing a new place as though I lived there.

I found this map generator on
a friend's website, and was actually surprised by the pattern it made of my life experiences. Particularly when compared to John's. See what you think.



Very nearly everything above the Mason Dixon line is the result of work travel. Thanks, Job, for exposing me to other "cultures!"

So what can I say? I guess I really am just a Southern girl after all.

If you're interested, create your own visited states map. They have a generator for countries visited, too, but even though I have had a few international experiences, I just couldn't bear the confirmation that there are so many parts of the world that I have no idea about.

**NOTE: We've reached my technological frontier. ("So soon?" you ask, politely.) I couldn't get the map to fit in my old template, so I changed it. This one is clearly less interesting, so I'll eventually change it back or to something else.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is the Mason-Dixon Line above or below missouri?

Anonymous said...

Actually the Mason-Dixon Line starts in Maryland. Her line is completely wrong and should be including all of Kentucky and Virginia as well. Some of the states that she put under the Mason Dixon are not considered to be a part of it , as well. If that answers your question.